1. What experience is required to become a mentor?
No formal experience is necessary.
2. What is the commitment?
Meet once a week (1-3 hours) for at least one year.
3. What is the age range of mentees?
Boys and girls between 10-17.
4. What if I need help with mentoring?
We will assign you a Mentoring Specialist who will match you with a mentee compatible with you. The Mentoring Specialist will then advise you and support you throughout the match.
5. What background considerations are there?
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- Generally, you need to have lived in the Denver metro area for at least a year.
- We cannot accept applicants with a felony on their record.
- We cannot accept applicants with a violent crime or crime against a child on their record.
- If you have a DUI on your record, 5 years must have passed since completing your probation.
- If you have a history of drug/alcohol abuse, you must have at least 5 years of sobriety and/or abstinence.
6. Do I need to have a car?
Once you are matched with a mentee, you will be picking them up from home and doing an event in the community (going to the park, getting ice cream, going to a museum, etc) based on both your and your mentee’s interests. There are also events that SOY hosts throughout the metro area that you will be invited to. This is a lot easier to do if you have you own car. If you have access to someone’s else’s car you will need to show that you as a driver and your mentee would be covered under their insurance.
Fill in the form below to begin the mentoring process.